Printfriendly

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Tandoor Style Chicken Kebabs


We've been on a bit of a curry kick in our house lately. Maybe it's my family roots showing through-my great grandparents, from the Crimea area of Russia, were missionaries in India. My grandmother was actually born there. The orphanage that my great grandparents started is apparently still there today, although I've never personally seen it.

This recipe is great-the kebabs are really mild, so if you are not making these for kids you can bump up the heat by adding some minced chili or a pinch of cayenne pepper to the marinade. I can just imagine how delicious they would be on the grill! I served them with warm naan bread, a scoop of Greek yogurt and mango chutney, and fresh cilantro.

Adapted from Jamie Oliver

140 g yogurt (use Greek yogurt. It's thick and works well)
25 ml olive oil
60 ml tomato passata
1/2 thumb sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1/2 tsp each garam masala, chili powder, smoked paprika (I used regular), and tumeric
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
10-12 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2 cm cubes (I used 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch cubes)

In a large bowl, mix the yogurt, olive oil, passata, ginger, garam masala, chili powder, paprika, tumeric, and garlic together. Add your chicken and mix until well coated. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours. I let mine sit all day, so I think that even overnight would be good.

Thread the chicken onto skewers and grill, turning occasionally, for about 15 minutes or until they are cooked through. I cooked mine on a foil lined broiler pan under my broiler set to high, turning and keeping a close eye on them so they didn't burn. I think they took about 10 minutes in the oven.

Makes 4 servings
© 2005-2017 all written and photographic content by Scattered Mom/Karen Humphrey (unless otherwise specified) and may not be reproduced or used in any manner without consent. All rights reserved.

© 2014 Chasing Tomatoes, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena