Printfriendly

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Crock Pot Shredded Chicken Chili

I admit, I haven't used that crock pot that I bought back in January all that much, but as I clicked through food blogs I found this recipe and had to wipe my chin.

Drool + keyboards = not so good.

So when a busy week was finally upon me, I threw all the ingredients into my crock pot and away I went to work. It's been busy the last while, and so I came home to a house that smelled mouthwateringly delectable. I looooove that. Don't you? And who could resist THIS?


I adapted this recipe to suit what I was able to find being way up here in Canada, and our poor virgin Canadian taste buds. Seriously people, you think we are used to the smoking hot spices of the southwest? I had to tame them, should my Hubs want to eat this. You can adjust them as you see fit. Plus to cut the acidity of the tomatoes, I added a bit of brown sugar. With the spices cut down there was flavor, but no heat. If you enjoy a more spicy chili, then check back at the Crepes of Wrath for the original and change the amounts to suit your tastebuds.

1 diced onion
1 (19 oz) can black beans (drained and rinsed)
1 (19 oz) can kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
28 oz can of diced tomatoes (*now in the comments at the Crepes of wrath, someone commented that the chili was a bit watery. I HATE watery chili so I used crushed tomatoes instead, which came out a bit too thick. I'm thinking that next time I would try 14oz diced tomatoes and 14 oz of crushed, or just two cans of stewed tomatoes. I'll let you decide. Should I make it again and use diced, I'll have some tomato paste handy just in case. )
1 can chopped mild green chilies (I couldn't find tomatoes with chilies in them)
4 tsp chili powder
2 1/2 tsp paprika
2 1/4 tsp ground cumin
3 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp brown sugar
3 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
chopped fresh cilantro
sour cream
tortilla chips
shredded cheese

Put the onion, beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili powder, paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, and brown sugar in the crock pot. Lay the chicken breasts over top. Cover. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Before you serve, remove the chicken and shred with two forks. Return chicken to crock pot. Stir in the fresh coriander. Serve with sour cream, tortilla chips, and shredded cheese. I also put a bottle of hot sauce on the table for us more adventurous diners.
© 2005-2017 all written and photographic content by Scattered Mom/Karen Humphrey (unless otherwise specified) and may not be reproduced or used in any manner without consent. All rights reserved.

© 2014 Chasing Tomatoes, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena